Mustang is one of those few places on the planet that has survived a very close-niche life and that region was, until recently, was a forbidden land for outsides till 1992. This loneliness and isolation contributed the people of Mustang to conserve their lifestyle and cultural heritage that remained almost unaffected for centuries.
Hidden behind the high Himalaya ranges, Mustang is filled with handsome trekking zones. The high desert rain shadow of Himalayas receives very little rainfall making this region dry and parched, similar to the bordering Tibetan Plateau. The Lo Manthang, capital of Upper Mustang, lies in the remote Himalaya desert behind the Dhaulagiri and Annapurna mountain ranges, is an old traditional Tibetan Village, with rare medieval Buddhist arts and exotic culture.
We, Wilderness Excursion offers perfect budget package trips to Mustang in the most competitive trip cost and develop a tailor-made itinerary to meet your time frame for Nepal holiday.
The 17-day trip begins in Kathmandu with tours of UNESCO World Heritage Sites. Then we drive to Pokhara and fly to Jomsom the next day and begin trekking. Upper Mustang is also known as the Last Forbidden Kingdom because it wasn’t until the 1990s that tourists were allowed to enter the region. While trekking in the Upper Mustang region of Nepal, we can admire the uniqueness of treeless landscape, rocky trails, and views of Nilgiri, Annapurna, Dhaulagiri, and the other Himalayas.
Upper Mustang Trek Day to Day Itinerary:
Day 1. Arrival at TIA Kathmandu (1,400m/4,592ft)
Day 2. Fly to Pokhara (800m/2,625ft) – Fly to Jomsom (2,700m/8,856ft) and Trek to Kagbeni. (2,810m/9,217ft), 3-4hrs
Day 3. Trek from Kagbeni to Chele (3,050m/10,004ft), 5-6hrs
Day 4. Trek from Chele to Syangboche (3,475m/11,398ft), 6-7hrs
Day 5. Trek from Syanboche to Ghami (3,520m/11,546ft), 5-6hrs
Day 6. Trek from Ghami to Tsarang (3,620m/11,874ft), 5-6hrs
Day 7. Trek from Tsarang to Lo Manthang (3,730m/12,235ft), 3-4hrs
Day 8. Explore Lo Manthang (3,730m/12,235ft)
Day 9. Trek from Lo Manthang to Yara (3,838m/12,589ft), 6-7hrs
Day 10. Trek from Yara to Tangge (3,240m/10,628ft), 7-8hrs
Day 11. Trek from Tangge to Tetang (3,067m/10,060ft), 8-9hrs
Day 12. Trek from Tetang to Muktinath (3,800m/12,464ft), 7-8hrs
Day 13. Trek from Muktinath to Jomsom (2,700m/8,856ft), 5-6hrs
Day 14. Fly Back to Pokhara and Back to Kathmandu, 5-6hrs
Day 15. Departure.
- Arrival & Departure: Airport – Hotel transfer – Airport (Pick Up and Drop on private basis).
- Hotel Accommodation in Kathmandu: 2nights at Star categories hotel on twin sharing and BB basis.
- Welcome Dinner and farewell dinner at Nepali culture restaurant in Kathmandu.
- Food & Lodging: 3 meals a day (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner) along with accessible accommodation sharing during the trek.
- Permit: All necessary paper works: ACAP Permit, Upper Mustang Restricted Area permit, and TIMS Card.
- All government and local taxes if necessary.
- Trekking Map: Upper Mustang Trekking map.
- Member transportation: – Air Transportation: Flight from Kathmandu – Pokhara, Pokhara to Jomsom and while returning.
- Drinking: 2 liters of boiled water to carry on thermos per day per member.
- Guide: Government licensed Guide (English speaking) during the trek
- Porter: Porters (2 trekkers: 1 porter) up to 15kg during the trek.
- Insurance: Insurance for all involved Nepalese staff during the trek.
- Comprehensive Medical kit.
- Air Fare: International flight airfare (from and to Kathmandu).
- Nepal Tourist Visa fee.
- Extra night in Kathmandu: Extra nights’ accommodation in Kathmandu. In case of early arrival or late departure, early return from Trekking (due to any reason) than the scheduled itinerary.
- Personal Insurance: Travel and high-altitude insurance, accident, Helicopter medical & emergency evacuation. *Mandatory
- Personal Expenses: Telephone calls, Internet, Toiletries, battery recharge, hot shower, laundry, soft drinks, beer, and any alcoholic beverages.
- Personal Equipment: Clothing, Packing Items or Bags, Personal Medical Kit, Personal Trekking equipment.
- Rescue Evacuation: Medical and emergency rescue evacuation costs if required. (Rescue, Repatriation, Helicopter, Medication, Medical Tests and Hospitalization costs).